Which Country Imports the Most Crane Lorries in the World?

Motor Vehicles May 28, 2018
Author: Sergey Avramenko
Head of Global Markets Research Team

In 2016, approx. 2.5M tonnes of crane were imported worldwide; lowering by -1.6% against the previous year level. In general, crane imports continue to indicate a mild setback. The most prominent rate of growth was recorded in 2008, when import increased by 6% against the previous year level. In that year, global crane imports reached its maximum volume of 2.9M tonnes. From 2009 to 2016, growth of global crane imports stood at a somewhat lower level.

In value terms, crane imports stood at $9.6B in 2016. In general, crane imports continue to indicate a mild descent. In that year, global crane imports attained its maximum level of $14B. From 2009 to 2016, growth of global crane imports stood at a somewhat lower level.

Top Crane Importing Countries in the World

1. Canada (657.3 million USD)

2. USA (592.6 million USD)

3. Germany (392.9 million USD)

4. Netherlands (386.7 million USD)

5. France (334.6 million USD)

6. Japan (185.1 million USD)

7. Philippines (102.9 million USD)

8. Italy (102.3 million USD)

9. China (75.2 million USD)

Crane Imports By Country

The countries with the highest levels of crane imports in 2016 were Germany (449K tonnes), the U.S. (352K tonnes), and China (243K tonnes), together amounting to 42% of total import. Italy (154K tonnes) held a 6% share (based on tonnes) of global crane imports, which put it in second place, following Japan (5%). The following importers - the Netherlands (100K tonnes), Canada (64K tonnes), France (59K tonnes), and the Philippines (52K tonnes) together made up 11% of total imports.

From 2007 to 2016, the most notable growth rate of crane imports, among the main importing countries, was attained by the Philippines (+18.5% per year), while the other global leaders experienced more modest paces of growth.

In value terms, the largest crane markets worldwide were Canada ($657M), the U.S. ($593M) and Germany ($393M), with a combined 17% share of global imports.The Netherlands, France, Japan, the Philippines, Italy and China lagged somewhat behind, together comprising a further 12%.

The Philippines (+28.8% per year) recorded the highest growth rate of crane imports, among the main importing countries, over the last 9 year period, while the other global leaders experienced more modest paces of growth.

Crane Import Prices By Country

In 2016, the average import price for crane amounted to $3,852 per tonne, reducing by -5.5% against the previous year. In general, crane import price continues to indicate a relatively flat trend pattern. The most prominent rate of growth was recorded in 2008, when import increased by 17% year-to-year. In that year, average crane import price attained its maximum level of $4,684 per tonne. From 2009 to 2016, growth of average crane import price stood at a somewhat lower level.

Import prices varied noticeably by country of destination. the country with the highest import prices was Canada ($10 per kg), while China ($310 per tonne) was among the lowest.

From 2007 to 2016, the most notable growth rate of crane import prices was attained by the Philippines (+8.7% per year), while the other global leaders experienced more modest paces of growth.

Do you want to know more about global crane market? Get the latest trends and insight from our report. It includes a wide range of statistics on

  • crane market share
  • crane prices
  • crane industry
  • crane sales
  • crane import
  • crane export
  • crane market forecast
  • crane price forecast
  • key crane producers

All data provided in this article covers the following product: HS Code 8705 - Special purpose motor vehicles; not those for the transport of persons or goods (e.g. breakdown lorries, road sweeper lorries, spraying lorries, mobile workshops, mobile radiological units etc).

Source: World: Crane Lorries - Market Report. Analysis and Forecast to 2025