Which Country Imports the Most Toilet Or Facial Tissue Stock, Towel and Similar Paper in the World?

Pulp, Paper and Paperboard May 28, 2018
Author: Sergey Avramenko
Head of Global Markets Research Team

In 2016, approx. 4.7M tonnes of tissue paper were imported worldwide; growing by 3% against the previous year level. The total import volume increased at an average annual rate of +4.0% over the period from 2007 to 2016; however, the trend pattern indicated some noticeable fluctuations over the period under review. The most prominent rate of growth was recorded in 2011, when import increased by 7% y-o-y. Over the period under review, global tissue paper imports attained its maximum volume in 2016, and are expected to retain its growth in the immediate term.

In value terms, tissue paper imports stood at $3.7B in 2016. The total import value increased at an average annual rate of +3.6% over the period from 2007 to 2016; however, the trend pattern indicated some noticeable fluctuations throughout the analyzed period. Over the period under review, global tissue paper imports attained its maximum level of $4B in 2014; however, from 2015 to 2016, it stood at a somewhat lower level.

Top Tissue Paper Importing Countries in the World

1. USA (511.1 million USD)

2. United Kingdom (378.0 million USD)

3. Germany (309.9 million USD)

4. Poland (161.7 million USD)

5. Australia (150.9 million USD)

6. Saudi Arabia (127.2 million USD)

7. Greece (125.8 million USD)

8. Canada (123.3 million USD)

9. China (30.0 million USD)

10. Sweden (25.7 million USD)

11. Indonesia (11.1 million USD)

12. Turkey (6.0 million USD)

Tissue Paper Imports By Country

The imports of the twelve major importers of tissue paper, namely Indonesia, the UK, the U.S., Turkey, Germany, China, Canada, Sweden, Poland, Australia, Greece, and Saudi Arabia, represented more than half of total import.

From 2007 to 2016, the most notable growth rate of tissue paper imports, among the main importing countries, was attained by Saudi Arabia (+14.9% per year), while the other global leaders experienced more modest paces of growth.

In value terms, the U.S. ($511M), the UK ($378M) and Germany ($310M) appeared as the countries with the highest levels of imports in 2016, together accounting for 32% of global imports.Poland, Australia, Saudi Arabia, Greece, Canada, China, Sweden, Indonesia and Turkey lagged somewhat behind, together accounting for a further 20%.

Saudi Arabia (+13.2% per year) experienced the highest rates of growth with regard to the tissue paper imports, in terms of the main importing countries, over the last 9 years, while the other global leaders experienced more modest paces of growth.

Tissue Paper Import Prices By Country

The average tissue paper import price stood at $798 per tonne in 2016, going down by -2.8% against the previous year. Overall, tissue paper import price continues to indicate a relatively flat trend pattern. The pace of growth appeared the most rapid in 2008, when import increased by 8% from the previous year level. Global tissue paper import peaked of $930 per tonne in 2014; however, from 2015 to 2016, it failed to regain its strength.

There were significant differences in the average import prices amongst major importing countries. In 2016, the country with the highest import prices was the U.S. ($1,389 per tonne), while Turkey ($22 per tonne) was among the lowest.

From 2007 to 2016, the most notable growth rate of tissue paper import prices was attained by Indonesia (+10.4% per year), while the other global leaders experienced more modest paces of growth.

Do you want to know more about global tissue paper market? Get the latest trends and insight from our report. It includes a wide range of statistics on

  • tissue paper market share
  • tissue paper prices
  • tissue paper industry
  • tissue paper sales
  • tissue paper import
  • tissue paper export
  • tissue paper market forecast
  • tissue paper price forecast
  • key tissue paper producers

All data provided in this article covers the following product: HS Code 4803 - Tissue, towel, napkin stock or similar; for household or sanitary uses, cellulose wadding, webs of cellulose fibres, in rolls over 36cm in width or rectangular sheets with one side exceeding 36cm when unfolded.

Source: World: Toilet Or Facial Tissue Stock, Towel And Similar Paper - Market Report. Analysis and Forecast to 2025