Global potato exports dropped from $5.1B in 2019 to $4.3B in 2020. France, the Netherlands and Germany constitute major potato exporters worldwide. In 2020, the average potato export price amounted to $327 per tonne, decreasing by -6.3% y-o-y. Belgium, a country with one of the highest per capita potato consumption figures, remains the world’s largest importer. Over the last year, most importing countries have reduced their potato purchases. By contrast, Belgium, Spain, the U.S., Uzbekistan, Ukraine, the Czech Republic and the UK boosted their imports.
India remains the largest pimenta pepper exporter worldwide, comprising near half of the global exports. Last year, India managed to strengthen its leading position, with pimenta pepper exports skyrocketing to over 500K tonnes, or $1.1B. China was the key importer of Indian pepper, accounting for 32% of the total volume. The average export price for pimenta pepper from India jumped by +16% y-o-y in 2020.
In 2020, global pumpkin imports reached $1.6B, the highest level over the past decade. The U.S. remains the largest importer of pumpkins, with a 37%-share of the total figure. Last year, Canada, the Netherlands and the UK saw the highest spikes in pumpkin purchases from abroad, while supplies to Japan have moderately reduced. In 2020, the average pumpkin import price rose by +20% compared to the previous year. Ukraine, Algeria and Italy constitute the countries with the highest per capita consumption. China, India and the U.S. feature as the largest consuming markets in 2020.
In 2020, asparagus imports into the U.S. rose by 2.5% y-o-y to 266K tonnes. Mexico and Peru lead the American imports with a combined 88%-share of its total volume. In the last year, Mexico ramped up shipments to America by +22.7% y-o-y, shaped by lower average prices. Peru experienced a drop in supplies volume to the U.S. while in value terms, they increased due to a spike in prices.
Cauliflower and broccoli exports from Spain peaked at $546M, surging by +14% over the last year. Shipments to the UK, Germany and the Netherlands constituted more than half of the total Spanish exports. Norway, Poland and Belgium feature the highest increases in purchases from Spain, while supplies to Italy dramatically dropped.
In 2020, despite the declining volume of prepared or preserved olives supplies in the EU, the total export value stood at the previous year’s level of near $1.5B. The fall in supplies from Spain and Portugal was partially offset by a surge in Greece's exports, which became feasible thanks to a drop in prices. The average export price in the EU grew by +4.4% y-o-y in 2020, shaped by increases in Spain, Italy and Portugal.
In 2020, American tomato imports rose by +21% y-o-y in value terms to $2.9B, despite the volume of shipments declined by -1% to 1.8M tonnes. Mexico provides 91% of the U.S. tomato imports, while the rest 9% come from Canada. Practically all the Mexican tomato exports are sent to the U.S. The average price for tomatoes imported to the U.S. increased from $1.34 per kg in 2019 to $1.59 per kg in 2020.
In 2020, American imports of chillies and peppers increased by +5.7% y-o-y and attained $1.9B. Mexico and Canada remain the major suppliers to the U.S., with a combined share of 91% of the total imports. In 2020, Canada featured the most rapid growth rate in terms of chilli and pepper volumes supplied to the U.S.
The Netherlands, India and China lead in the global export of onion and shallots, leaving other countries far behind. Senegal, the UK, Cote d’Ivoire remain the key destinations for exports from the Netherlands. Most onions and shallots from India are sent to Bangladesh, Malaysia and the United Arab Emirates, and more than half of Chinese exports go to Viet Nam and Japan. The Netherlands dominates Senegal's imports with a 93% share of the total volume. India supplies 83% of onion and shallots imports to Bangladesh, while China absolutely buoys Japanese onion imports.