The U.S. Pulp Consumption Restrained by Drop in Printed Media Industry

Pulp, Paper and Paperboard July 03, 2017
Author: Sergey Avramenko
Head of Global Markets Research Team

pulp market

Photo: © Kzenon / Bigstockphoto

According to market research conducted by IndexBox, from 2008 to 2015, U.S. pulp market showed decline. In 2015, the pulp market stood at 89,268 thousand tonnes. In value terms, the market has yet to recover from the 30% fall in 2009. It remained at a lower level of 5,130 million USD at the end of 2015 in comparison with 2007.

Pulp consumption in the U.S. is expected to grow by +0.5% (currently at -1.1%) in the medium term, amid the growth of paper and packaging industry. The pressure from plastic packaging in the paper packaging sector, as well as the drop in production of printed materials due to increased use of electronic media will limit growth.

The share of imports in the consumption of pulp in the U.S. did not exceed 6% from 2007 to 2015, indicating a low dependence on foreign suppliers. National production of pulp almost completely satisfied the domestic demand.

The U.S. exported 7,907 thousand tonnes of pulp in 2015, which accounted for 9% of total U.S. pulp output. In 2015, China (27%) was the main destination of U.S. pulp exports, distantly followed by Mexico (9%) and Japan (7%). China was the fastest growing country of destination, with imports of pulp rising by +10.4% per year from 2007 to 2015, while Mexico and Japan displayed negative dynamics over the same period.

The volume of U.S. pulp imports totaled 5,377 thousand tonnes in 2015, reflecting fluctuations over the period under review. China (59%, based on tonnes) and Brazil (35%) were the main suppliers of pulp into the U.S., with a combined share of 94% of total U.S. imports in 2015.

Do you want to know more about the U.S. pulp market? Get the latest trends and insight from our report. It includes a wide range of statistics on

  • pulp market share
  • pulp prices
  • pulp industry
  • pulp sales
  • pulp market forecast
  • pulp price forecast
  • key pulp producers

Source: U.S. Pulp Market. Analysis And Forecast to 2025