Global Tallow Market Reached 5,3B USD

Vegetable And Animal Oils And Fats June 06, 2017
Author: Irina Andreeva
Market Analyst

tallow market

Photo: © Wavebreak Media Ltd / Bigstockphoto

According to market research conducted by IndexBox, the tallow market volume followed an overall negative trend. A drop in 2008 was followed by stagnation at about 6,500 thousand tonnes, until the market fell again in 2012. In the following year, the market went up insignificantly, leveling off at 6,457 thousand tonnes in 2014. In value terms, the market was estimated at 5,286 million USD in 2014, after fluctuating over the period under review.

The U.S. (3,237 thousand tonnes), Brazil (657.3 thousand tonnes), Mexico (395.9 thousand tonnes), and China (393.0 thousand tonnes) had the highest demand, together comprising near 73% of global consumption. Among the leading consuming countries, high levels of per capita consumption were recorded in the U.S. (10.04 kg/year in 2014), which were significantly higher than the world average of 0.89 kg/year. The U.S. had the most notable average annual growth of per capita consumption from 2007 to 2014, at +2.0% per year.

Tallow is a widely traded commodity, with the share of export in total global output standing at about 23% in 2014. High trade intensity is determined mainly by the geographical differentiation between the main countries specializing in tallow manufacturing and the some of the major centers of demand creation.

A significant drop in 2008-2009 was followed by an upsurge in 2010, with another downturn in 2011-2014. However, in 2014, total exports finally went up by 1.6 million tonnes. In 2015, exports were estimated at 1.66 million tonnes.

In 2014, Australia (29%) and the U.S. (28%) were the main global suppliers of tallow with a combined share of 57% of global exports. They were followed by New Zealand and Canada (8% each). From 2007 to 2014, the share exported from Australia increased significantly (+22 percentage points), while the share sent from the U.S. illustrated negative dynamics (-22 percentage points). In 2015, Australia's exports in absolute terms increased by 1%, while exports from the U.S. decreased by 8%.

The volume of global imports stood at 1,131 thousand tonnes in 2014. A slump in 2008-2009 was followed by a hike in 2010, until imports turned downward, declining steadily through to 2014. Total imports were calculated at 1.13 million tonnes in 2014. According to preliminary data, global imports grew to 1.27 million tonnes in 2015. The leading consuming countries also showed growth, with Mexico at + 8% Y-o-Y, China at + 4% Y-o-Y, and Belgium at + 2% Y-o-Y. In 2014, Mexico (27%), China (13%), Belgium (9%), the U.S., and Spain (6% each) were the leading destinations of tallow imports, together making up 60% of global imports in physical terms. While the share of China decreased by 5 percentage points, the shares of the other countries illustrated positive dynamics from 2007 to 2014.

Do you want to know more about the global tallow market? Get the latest trends and insight from our report. It includes a wide range of statistics on

  • tallow market share
  • tallow prices
  • tallow industry
  • tallow sales
  • tallow market forecast
  • tallow price forecast
  • key tallow producers

Source: World: Tallow - Market Report. Analysis And Forecast To 2025