Global Plywood Market Reached 144,7M cubic meters in 2015

Silviculture And Forestry Activities June 02, 2017
Author: Anna Sergeeva
Market Analyst

plywood market

Photo: © bfoxfoto / Bigstockphoto

According to market research conducted by IndexBox, from 2007 to 2015, the global plywood market showed mixed dynamics. Following a tangible decline from 2008-2009, the global plywood market indicated steady growth over the next six years; it plateaued, reaching 144,691 thousand cubic meters in 2015. In value terms, it stood at 76,841 million USD that year.

Softwood plywood accounted for the major share (63% in 2015, based on cubic meters) of plywood market, leaving the other 37% for hardwood plywood.

The countries with the highest demand were China (93,365 thousand cubic meters), and distantly the U.S. (12,855 thousand cubic meters), Japan (5,742 thousand cubic meters), Indonesia (3,450 thousand cubic meters), Canada (2,884 thousand cubic meters), India (2,574 thousand cubic meters), and Malaysia (2,029 thousand cubic meters).

In 2015, the volume of global exports totaled 28,269 thousand cubic meters. A significant decrease in 2008-2009 was followed by consistent growth over the next six years. China (10,814 thousand cubic meters) was the main global supplier of plywood with a 38% share of global exports. It was followed by Malaysia, Indonesia (9%, each), Russia and Brazil (8%, each).

The volume of global imports totaled 25,504 thousand cubic meters in 2015. Imports dynamics was generally in line with exports: these trade flows globally complement each other. In 2015, the U.S. (4,253 thousand cubic meters) and Japan (2,996 thousand cubic meters) were the leading destinations of plywood imports, together making up 29% of global imports in physical terms. It was followed by Canada and the U.K. (6%, each).

Do you want to know more about the global plywood market? Get the latest trends and insight from our report. It includes a wide range of statistics on

  • plywood market share
  • plywood prices
  • plywood industry
  • plywood sales
  • plywood market forecast
  • plywood price forecast
  • key plywood producers

Source: World: Plywood - Market Report. Analysis And Forecast To 2025